Kitchen Renovations: Kitchen Makeover For Less Than You Think
They say: “Nothing sells homes like kitchens and bathrooms”. That is true: old kitchen cabinets with chipping paint, dated backsplash and appliances, last-century tiles and vanities – this all could be a major turn-off for potential buyers. On the contrary, updated fresh comfortable kitchen or bathroom can make a totally different impression of the house, even if other rooms need some improvements. And there is no wonder to that: kitchens and bathrooms are the most costly rooms to make renovations, especially the kitchen. But here are some ideas on how to freshen up the look of your kitchen without breaking the bank.
1. Cabinets. Sometimes there is no need to change the cabinets at all. If your cabinets are in a pretty good condition from inside, putting a coat of fresh paint of a modern color would be enough, just strip and sand the cabinets well before painting them. Don’t forget to update the hardware with a new one – you’ll be amazed how it changes the entire look of your kitchen.
2. Backsplash. Backsplash could be one of the most expensive parts of renovations. Tip: tilting only the area directly behind the stove creates a focal point and helps to save on materials and labour. Instead of tilting the entire backsplash, which would cost around $3000, you can paint the remaining area with a durable, scrubbable paint of color that would complement your cabinets.
3. Appliances. The selection of appliances at big-box stores has grown to include professional-looking models without the hefty price tags. Big-box stores often work closely with national manufacturers, so you can find a great product line at a comparatively fair price.
4. Countertops. Instead of buying expensive granite or concrete countertops you can tile the countertop area either with tile granite or ceramic tile. Local tile stores, like Home Depot or Lowes usually have a pretty good selection of tiles. A little bit more expensive option is to install modular granite or solid-surface. Modular granite is bigger than tile, but smaller than slab, meaning that slices of modular granite can be even installed by you. Solid-surface is the term for man-made, polymer-based countertop materials. It is relatively durable and strong. If you decide to opt for an expensive granite countertop, try to save on finding models that are on sale or the store is discontinuing them.
5. Accessories. Beautiful strategically placed accessories is an inexpensive way to complete the look of your kitchen. Couple of pictures on the wall and original vases or knick-knacks on the table or window would create a finished high-end look of your kitchen.